Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thinking out loud...

Well here goes .. I thought I'd try this Blog thing out..

Let me give you some background on me...

I'm 53 yrs old.. almost 54. Last year I got it in my head that I'd like to have my motorcycle licence... crazy eh? Well that's what I thought too.. I had always ridden with my husband Bob on his bike but something got in my head and I couldn't shake it. I chalked it up to a mid-life crisis.


Well Bob thought if I wanted to try it I should 'go for it'. But truth be told , my whole life I always did the 'safe' thing. I never competed in sports cause I don't like competition and I especially don't like to fail at anything. So, by not competing or trying.. there was no chance of failure. :o)


Well.. I talked about it from April to July last year and Bob was my biggest supporter but something was holding me back. Then on July 17th , our anniversary, Bob gave me a card with my enrollment inside !! He had paid for the course.. so, I had no excuse , I had to do it.


I booked my course but since I'd waited so long, I couldn't get in till Sept. 15th weekend.


While we were waiting for the day to arrive, Bob found and bought me a Suzuki Savage 650.. pictured to the right...sweet little bike.

Then we proceeded to 'teach' me a few things before I actually took the course. I didn't want to go into it knowing nothing.. now that's logic for you isn't it? Well, the weekend for my course rolled around .. Friday nite was basically meet and get to know each other and get familiar with the bikes.. Saturday, it rained .. downpoured all day.. so I'm ok with riding with the rain :o) .. Sunday was the finish of the course and the testing. I passed ..did real good actually. I was the oldest one in the class of 12 . Our ages ranged from 16 to 53. It was a blast.

Well I bought a windshield for my little 'Suzi' .. then a set of saddle bags... I rode her everywhere and everychance I got.. for 5 weeks... then I decided that if we wanted to do some serious travelling.. I needed something a bit bigger.

Bob almost fell over but being the wonderful guy he is.. we went in search of a bigger bike for me ... and found my 750 Shadow Aero that I love.. She's a 2004.. and came with saddle bags, windshield and sissybar. I've since added the fender rail, engine guard and highway pegs, two new tires and I'm working on a light bar now .. this is a very expensive hobby :o)

Well that pretty much captures how I got to where I am right now.. I'm gonna try to blog each time we go out riding and maybe some other random thoughts too as they pop into my head. We did some travelling this weekend and I'll give a recap of that in the next day or so.

No comments: